Sunday, March 30, 2008

A Touch of Dame Edna in "I'd Do Anything!"

Hello Possums!

Well, we've all just watched the first live show of BBC One's "I'd Do Anything!" competition, and wasn't it gorgeous to see our Barry Humphries at the centre of things at last?!

He was given a truly glittering introduction, with a touch of Gigastar glamour in the form of our favourite Australian housewife and international phenomenon, Dame Edna Everage, at the beginning of his intro!


But did we also detect a little touch of Dame Edna in Barry's comments to the Nancy hopefuls? Was he channeling Australia's first lady of comedy during the broadcast? You be the judge:

After the first two girls, Jessie and Jodie, sang their songs, Barry's first comment was:

I would hate to be Fagin on stage with either of you girls....no one would look at me!

....was that Edna's tendency to think about others shining through? He went on, commenting to Jessie:

Jessie...you had vulnerability and a touch of the gutter snipe...and I mean that in the nicest possible way!

Following Niamh's performance, he noted:

There's something a little bit spooky about you...I can see you in a musical version of The Adams Family!

Perhaps it was Barry's choice of the trademark Edna colours in his wardrobe for the evening - pink and purple - that brought out his inner Housewife/Gigastar.
Definitely a touch of Australian caring and sharing there, Possums! And we wouldn't have it any other way!

Here's a slightly edited version of the first two girls with some of Barry's reactions at the end. Enjoy, Possums, and see you next week...






1 comment:

SBTVD said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the SBTVD, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://sbtvd.blogspot.com. A hug.